July 10, 2015

Being in America: Post Trip Reflections 1

Well, it's been over a week since I've returned. I'm not sure if I've fully recovered from jet lag yet. Not only was this my first Israel experience, it was my first trip across the ocean to another part of the world. Needless to say - everything has been a learning opportunity.

I still haven't processed everything I've seen, but I've slowly began to. I've realized something about making Aliyah: just like immigrating to almost any country, it's a challenge. Life will be hard. It's something you have to be convinced to do; there's a reason why we spent so much time talking with others who've made Aliyah themselves. It's not just a move, it's a commitment - and a big one!

I happened to return to America on one of the most patriotic times of year - right before fourth of July weekend. It was such a culture shock to be instantly immersed into America in full swing, celebrating independence. It's a reminder of the blessing we have as American citizens. Things are comfortable here (for the most part). We can truly say we are free.

Part of being an American (especially 2nd, 3rd, 4th+ generation citizens) is taking this freedom and equality for granted. In Israel, discrimination is a regular part of life. There is tension between people groups that is tangible, even viewing from the outside. It's hard to realize how integrated our society is until experiencing separation elsewhere.

In my opinion, our ultimate goal for world peace would involve breaking these tensions down. Who says it has to start in Israel? Why can't it begin right here, with the people we know and the mindsets we have?

No comments:

Post a Comment