"Take a deep breath... Close your eyes. Imagine being at your happy place."
How many times have you heard this relaxation technique in your lifetime?
If you are someone with a typically busy schedule, it's likely you've heard it more than once. I know I've heard it more times than I can remember, and I've even tried it for myself during particularly stressful situations. However, it's never really worked for me - until now.
"Imagine your happy place": a seemingly easy instruction, but where do I imagine? Sure, I've felt happy at various locations, but I never truly called somewhere my favorite place. That is, until I journeyed to Eretz Israel. After spending almost a month in the land, I can honestly say I've found my happy place.
Israel is many things, but none of which I expected. I didn't see a parade of camels trotting down the streets, nor did I ride one. I didn't get to see the location of every Bible story in the Good Book. I never found myself hopelessly stranded in Jerusalem, separated from my group due to sheer cultural confusion (Thank G-d!). So what IS Israel like?
Many people who visit say they feel at home, but that seems like an understatement to me. Israel, with rugged stone streets and paved highways, felt like the home I never even knew. Israel, with Hasidic Jews and secular Israelis, showed me many ways of Jewish life I could never see at home. Israel is the place where I could have the time of my life, be blown away by beauty, and be awestruck by the power of prayer. Home became a new concept in Israel.
We had the chance to meet people who can call Israel their physical home. We learned that living in the Land isn't easy, but it isn't shallow. We got a small taste of what it's like to make Aliyah, and resonate with the struggles intertwined with the triumphs of our people. We were sobered upon visiting places like the Yad Vashem and Mount Hertzl. It was a time to grow deeper in our Jewish identity by watering our roots, but also, it was a time to enjoy.
Upon returning back to the Western world, it took weeks to process everything I had seen. It would take months to explain everything I did. The most popular question I hear is "What was your favorite part of Israel?". I can't help but respond... "All of it", because it doesn't matter which part. Israel is my new happy place, the place I imagine when I am anxious or scared. Israel is the new definition of home.
What is Israel like? You'll find your answer as soon as you get there. I can't answer it for you. Come see for yourself.
No comments:
Post a Comment