June 14, 2015

Day 5 & 6 - A Jerusalem Shabbat

I hope you all had a lovely, restful Shabbos.

The past two days gave us more sobering experiences - particularly at the Yad Vashem. No matter how much I study the Holocaust, it never ceases to cause me greif. I saw an image of a man who was forced to remove his wedding ring at a concentration camp, and I felt instantly heartbroken to tears. I found the image online, and felt it was important to share. We often do not realize how dehumanizing it is to be stripped of sentimental things. Of course, human life is always the most tragic to lose - but it is progressive, beginning with what is small (as small as a gold ring).

I finally had a nice long nap today! It was wonderful, and indeed, a Shabbat Shalom.
Now that Shabbat is over, it's time for another busy week. Mitzvah project tomorrow - gardening! If you wold like to see pictures of my group, make sure you check out Haderkh Youth Israel Aliyah on Facebook. A list of things we did:

6/12 – Friday: Modern Jerusalem 
  • 7:00 – Shacharit – Luke 6
  • 7:30 – Breakfast
  • 8:00 – Mt. Hertzl & Yad Vashem
  • 3:30 – Services at Oded Shoshani’s Congregation
  • 7:00 – Erev Shabbat Dinner at Hannah Lang’s House with local MJ’s 

6/13 – Saturday: Shabbat
  • 8:30 – Breakfast; Shacharit – Luke 7
  • 10:00 – Shabbat Services at Roeh Israel Congregation 
  • Free Shabbat Afternoon to meet and nap
  • 6:30 – Parashah Study: Shelach (Numbers 13:1-15:41; Joshua 2:1-24; Hebrews 3:7-4:11)
  •  8:00 – Havdalah & Motzi Shabbat Activity
  • Ben Yehudah – Ben Hillel Street #11
Heartbreaking Image:
Ustasa (Croatian fascist) camp guards order a Jewish man to remove his ring before being shot.
Jasenovac concentration camp, Yugoslavia, between 1941 and 1945.
Jewish Historical Museum of Yugoslavia
Yad Vashem
(Courtesy of Yad Vashem.org)

Our Group at Yad Vashem

Mount Herzl
Mt. Herzl & Yad Vashem Entrance


Shabbat Havdalah

Dinner after Shabbat, Sundown!
Ben Yehuda Street Shawarma
Shabbos Challah in the Schu (Jewish Quarter Market)
Walking to the Western Wall
Shabbat Shalom!

No comments:

Post a Comment